Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Lockmaster’s House is a tall, wood framed structure with a distinctive mansard roof and an asymmetrically positioned rear wing. One of the oldest buildings in the community of St. Peter’s, it is located in an open setting beside the canal and close to the ocean. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Lockmaster’s House is a Recognized Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental value.
The Lockmaster’s House is closely associated with the early history of St. Peter’s canal and its role in the development of the village of St. Peter’s. The house was built in 1876 during the first of three major reconstructions. One of the oldest residences in the community, it illustrates a significant phase in the development of St. Peter’s which formed around the nucleus of the canal.
The Lockmaster’s House is a good example of a 19th century residence with good functional design. It has been occupied by the canal lockmaster and superintendent from the time of its construction in 1876 until 1983. The exterior features that characterize the building and underline its age include its curved mansard roof, general form, symmetry and materials. It was designed by Henry F. Perley, who was associated with the initial construction of the canal in 1854-1872 as an employee of Canada’s newly formed Public Works department.
The Lockmaster’s House reinforces the present character of its canal land setting and is a well-known building in the area.
Joanna H. Doherty, Lockmaster’s House, St. Peter’s Canal, St. Peter’s, Nova Scotia, Federal Heritage Building Review Office Building Report 89-001;Lockmaster’s House, St. Peter’s Canal, St. Peter’s, Nova Scotia, Heritage Character Statement, 89-001.
The character-defining elements of the Lockmaster’s House should be respected.
Its 19th century aesthetic, functional design and good craftsmanship and materials, for example:
-its simple two-storey form and symmetrical massing with an asymmetrically positioned rear wing;
-its two-sided, curved mansard roof;
-its wood frame construction;
-its surviving interior sub-divisions, forms and materials.
The manner in which the Lockmaster’s House reinforces the character of its canal land setting and is familiar within the area, as evidenced by:
-its tall profile, large scale and 19th century design which is physically prominent among the surrounding 20th century structures;
-its location within the sphere of the canal, and the ocean in front;
-its well-known historic association with the canal and the town of St. Peter’s as well as its physical prominence and visibility within the community which makes it a local landmark.
Government of Canada
Treasury Board Heritage Buildings Policy
Recognized Federal Heritage Building
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec
Cross-Reference to Collection