Julia Clark School
Assiniboine Residential School for Indian Children
Children's Home of Winnipeg
Maison d'enfants de Winnipeg
École résidentielle Assiniboine pour les enfants indiens
Links and documents
1918/01/01 to 1918/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Julia Clark School is a two-storey brick structure erected in 1918 near the Assiniboine River in west Winnipeg. The City of Winnipeg designation applies to the building on its footprint and the interior stairwell, including banisters and railings.
The Julia Clark School is significant as an educational institution linked to the development of Winnipeg's child welfare system; in particular, to the Children's Home of Winnipeg (CHW), one of the pioneer charities in the field. The agency began in the 1880s as a shelter for abandoned and destitute children, but soon was pressed to expand its services and facilities. This functional brick school was added to a large CHW residential complex on what was then the sparsely populated western periphery of Winnipeg. Planned by district architect J.B. Mitchell, the durable building, with its modest, classically inspired lines and details, and its many large windows, reflects the design and construction guidelines of its day. Now restored and in alternative use, the structure and its adjacent grounds recall the vital work of the CHW at the site (to the mid-1940s), followed by a veterans' hospital, then by a residential school for Aboriginal children (1950s to 1972).
Source: City of Winnipeg Committee on Planning and Community Services Minutes, October 28, 1997
Key elements that define the heritage character of the Julia Clark School site include:
- the location as part of a complex set back from Academy Road, with the Assiniboine River to the north
Key elements that define the school's restrained, classically influenced architecture include:
- the elongated rectangular massing formed by an exposed concrete foundation partially clad in rough-cut limestone, solid sand-coloured brick walls and a shallow hip roof
- the front (south) facade dominated by an asymmetrical window arrangement and a modestly ornamented entrance pavilion, including a large brick arch with keystone encompassing double wooden doors, transoms and a round-arched upper window, brick stringcourses, a dentilled cornice painted to contrast with the brick, a plain parapet, etc.
- the double-hung rectangular windows throughout, set between stone lug sills and brick heads, many with transoms, some in strip-like bands, others grouped, yet others single
- the details, including brick pilaster strips, panelling and wide offsets beneath main-floor windows, deep eaves, the main entrance's heavy stone lintel, the smooth-cut stone medallion in a decorative brick panel reading '1918' in a stylized font, etc.
Key elements that define the school's functional interior layout, finishes and details include:
- the largely intact configuration, with rooms coming off central halls
- the large staircase with metal balustrades and the details, including simple mouldings and trim, etc.
City of Winnipeg
City of Winnipeg Act
Winnipeg Landmark Heritage Structure
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Social Movements
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Office or Office Building
- Composite School
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
15-30 Fort Street Winnipeg MB
Cross-Reference to Collection