Links and documents
1958/01/01 to 1959/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Big House is located at the south end of Fort Langley’s enclosure. The largest building at the Fort, it is a rectangular, log structure with a hipped roof and front verandah. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Big House is a Recognized Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental value.
The Big House illustrates a clearly defined phase in the history of reconstruction within Parks Canada. The conservation approach taken at Fort Langley typifies Parks Canada’s approach to reconstruction in the late 1950s, which emphasized the educational role of historic sites.
The Big House is a very good example of a period reconstruction in its exterior representation of the simple, utilitarian form and design of the Fort’s early buildings. Its value resides in the features which contribute, by means of sympathetic form, volume and detailing, to recalling the original character of Fort Langley as interpreted by Parks Canada during the 1950s.
As the largest structure within the reconstructed Fort’s palisade, the Big House is the most prominent building of the site. Its utilitarian form and design complement the sole original structure of the Fort and the reconstructed structures on the site. It reinforces the historic character of the Fort’s utilitarian arrangement of structures and landscapes.
Kate MacFarlane, Four Buildings, Fort Langley National Historic Site, British Columbia, Federal Heritage Building Report, 96-114; Big House, Fort Langley National Historic Site, Fort Langley, British Columbia, Heritage Character Statement, 96-114.
The character-defining elements of the Big House should be respected.
Its simple utilitarian form and design, for example:
-its two-storey rectangular structure that is five bays in length and three bays in width,
with a hipped roof and front verandah;
-its log-hewn structure and Red River framing;
-its window sash and panelled door design;
-its formally arranged windows and elevated entry doors;
-its whitewashed exterior.
The manner in which the Big House reinforces the historic character of the Fort and is a familiar landmark as evidenced by:
-its utilitarian form and design compatible with the other structures at the Fort;
-its high visual profile within the Fort’s palisade, as the largest structure and one of two
Government of Canada
Treasury Board Heritage Buildings Policy
Recognized Federal Heritage Building
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Historic or Interpretive Site
Architect / Designer
J. Calder Peeps
Location of Supporting Documentation
National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec
Cross-Reference to Collection