St. Peter's Rectory
1556, Dundas, City of Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
St. Peter's Rectory
A. E. LePage Building
1556 Dundas Street West
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
St. Peter's Rectory is located at 1556 Dundas Street West on the south side of Dundas Street West, east of Mississauga Road in the City of Mississauga. The property consists of a two storey brick house that was constructed in 1861.
The property was designated by the City of Mississauga in 1980 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 590-80).
St. Peter's Rectory is associated with St. Peter's Church and was built in 1861 to replace the original rectory that had been torn down. The first inhabitant was Reverend Thomas P. Hodge. The congregation went heavily into debt to finance the construction. It was used as a rectory until 1960 when the church sold it to A.E. LePage Real Estate who converted it into a commercial building and is now home to the offices of Heritage Orthodontics.
St. Peter's Rectory is a good representation of the Georgian Revival Style house and is noted for its austere impression. The severity of the three bay, symmetrical facade is created by the dark red brick and the placement of lintels in parallel lines. Keeping with the style, the central entrance is recessed slightly and framed by a lighted transom, sidelights and flanked by six over six windows. The Georgian Revival house was appropriate for the residence of an Anglican clergyman and its solid, red brick off-sets the lighter frame structures nearby.
Sources: City of Mississauga Heritage Structure Report, January 29, 1980; City of Mississauga Heritage Register Report; City of Mississauga By-law 590-80.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of St. Peter's Rectory include its:
- two storey red brick, stone and sheathing exterior
- medium pitch hip roof
- parallel stone lintels
- two internally bracketed chimneys, one double linked in the northeast
- central facade entrance with sidelights and transom
- cut stone quoins
- decorative brick beneath windows
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Office or Office Building
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Mississauga
Planning and Heritage
9th Floor, Community Services
201 City Centre Dr.
Cross-Reference to Collection