Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1471 Hall
Loyal Orange Lodge
Liens et documents
Date(s) de construction
Inscrit au répertoire canadien:
Description du lieu patrimonial
The Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1471 Hall is a one-storey wood-frame institutional building, which is located on 60th Avenue, adjacent to the Surrey Centre Cemetery. It has been relocated from its original site which was further to the east on 60th Avenue.
The Loyal Orange Lodge No 1471 Hall is significant as one of the oldest surviving institutional buildings in Surrey and is valued for its role in the early settlement and cultural development of Surrey. Branch No. 1471 of the Loyal Orange Lodge was formed at Grey's Corner, Langley in 1871, with a membership consisting of settlers from Langley and Surrey. In 1884, the Society moved to Surrey Centre. This building was constructed in 1891 on land donated by pioneer settler Arthur Richardson, after his wife, Lucy, became tired of the men of the Lodge meeting at their house. The Society and its building served to meet the community and social needs of the largely Protestant families of British origin that had settled in Surrey Centre. This local group of the Order, that has its roots in an eighteenth century organization founded by Ulster Protestants in Ireland, was founded by several prominent men of Surrey Centre, including George Boothroyd, Reverend William Bell, Abraham Huck, Henry Thrift, and Thomas Shannon.
The building is also valued as a representation of the frontier style of construction that occurred early in the development of the region. Although simple in massing and construction, some of the decorative elements, such as the scroll-cut rafter tails, indicate a pride of place and community in this building, and an early use of carpenter ornamentation.
It is also valuable as an example of the type of fraternal organization that helped pioneer settlers bind together as a community and survive in harsh frontier conditions. Developed at a time when churches, not governments, provided social assistance, such associations gave an additional level of mutual support to families in need.
The Loyal Orange Society also provided continuity in the spiritual ties to the Mother Country. The Society (more commonly known as The Orange Order) is a Protestant fraternity with members throughout the world. The Order is primarily a religious organization, but is also involved in social and charitable work. The Order is unique in that it is probably the only organization founded in Ireland that has spread across the world, becoming an integral and vital part if life in many different countries.
Source: Heritage Planning Files, City of Surrey
Key elements that define the heritage character of the Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1471 Hall include its:
- form, scale and massing
- simple vernacular design with rectangular plan and one room interior
- front gable roof with steep pitch
- wood framing and drop wooden siding with corner boards
- regular fenestration on the side elevations
- scroll-cut exposed rafter tails
- Loyal Orange Lodge 1471 insignia on front gable
Autorité de reconnaissance
Administrations locales (C.-B.)
Local Government Act, art.954
Type de reconnaissance
Répertoire du patrimoine communautaire
Date de reconnaissance
Données sur l'histoire
Thème - catégorie et type
- Établir une vie sociale et communautaire
- L'organisation communautaire
Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction
- Local pour association fraternelle, organisation sociale ou de bienfaisance
Architecte / Concepteur
Emplacement de la documentation
Heritage Planning Files, City of Surrey
Réfère à une collection