John Sproat House
P.L. Robertson Residence
191 Margaret Street
Liens et documents
Date(s) de construction
Inscrit au répertoire canadien:
Description du lieu patrimonial
The John Sproat House, located at 191 Margaret Street, is on the north side of Margaret Street, west of Martin Street, in the Town of Milton. The two storey stone residence was constructed in 1857.
The property was designated by the Town of Milton in 1996 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 16-96).
The John Sproat house was built by John Sproat in 1857 as a Ladies Seminary Educational Residence. Located prominently on the north side of Mill Pond in Livingston Park, the John Sproat House overlooks the broad lawns and natural features of park.
John Sproat was a prominent figure in Milton investing both his time and money into the town's growth. After his death, the house became associated several prominent local citizens such as, Thomas Matheson, County Crown Attorney; P.L. Robertson, inventor of the 'Robertson' socket-head screw; and T.C. Livingston, who developed Livingston Park, a green-space which included novel features such as a band shell and gas lighting.
The John Sproat House is largely Georgian in style, with Italianate features. The symmetrically arranged, five bay facade and chimneys located at the gable ends is typical of the Georgian style of architecture. The exterior walls are constructed of local stone with ashlar masonry on the facade and east elevation, and coursed rubble stonework on the west and north elevations. Also in keeping with Georgian style there is an emphasis on simplicity; the eaves, windows, stone lintels, and sills are without embellishment. Some of the only decorative elements include the rusticated quoins at the corners, the projected plinth course on the first storey and the stone caps on the chimneys. The influence of the Italianate style is largely seen through the projecting frontispiece, as well as the peaked pediment topped with a wooden finial, the low hip roof and the wide eaves. These two styles of architecture blend together to create a unique residence that is a tribute to the history of the Town of Milton.
Source: Town of Milton, By-law 16-96.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the John Sproat House include its:
- location in Livingston Park overlooking Mill Pond
- two storey stone exterior
- low hip roof
- central gable
- five bay facade
- two stone chimneys with decorative stone caps
- simply trimmed eaves and windows
- stone lintel and sills
- rusticated quoins
- returned eaves
- projecting wood eaves with plan fascia
- moulded soffit and frieze
- central entrance
- decorative glass in transom
- peaked pediment decorated with wooden finial
Autorité de reconnaissance
Administrations locales (Ont.)
Loi sur le patrimoine de l'Ontario
Type de reconnaissance
Désignation du patrimoine municipal (partie IV)
Date de reconnaissance
Données sur l'histoire
Thème - catégorie et type
- Un territoire à peupler
- Les établissements
Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction
- Local pour association fraternelle, organisation sociale ou de bienfaisance
- Logement unifamilial
Architecte / Concepteur
Emplacement de la documentation
Town of Milton
Planning and Development Department
43 Brown Street
Réfère à une collection