St. Bartholomew’s Memorial Stone Municipal Heritage Site
Harbour Breton, Terre-Neuve et Labrador, A0H, Canada
Reconnu formellement en:
Liens et documents
Date(s) de construction
Inscrit au répertoire canadien:
Description du lieu patrimonial
Located in the eastern corner of St. Bartholomew’s Anglican Church churchyard, on the north side of Harbour Breton, NL, St. Bartholomew’s Memorial Stone is a dark sandstone slab with inscriptions. The stone measures approximately 61 cm wide, by 152 cm high, by 5 cm thick, and is located immediately left of the gate entrance to the churchyard. The designation includes the footprint of the monument plus three metres in each direction out from the monument.
St. Bartholomew’s Memorial Stone has been designated a municipal heritage site by the Town of Harbour Breton because of its historic value.
St. Bartholomew’s Memorial Stone has historic value due to its original use and its connection to Newman and Company, one of the largest English West Country merchants firms to operate in Newfoundland during the nineteenth century. This dark sandstone slab was originally the altar top of the first Church of England church in Harbour Breton, which was built in 1841 and named St. Bartholomew’s. The stone was brought to Harbour Breton on a Newman and Company vessel and donated to the church by the firm. Newman and Company contributed greatly to the construction of the church, which was located on the south side of the community, on the Newman and Company plantation. It measured roughly 14 metres by 8 metres and could seat 250 people.
When this church burnt down in 1895, the stone was saved and was used for the altar top in a second church, which was built on the same site. During the late 1960s the stone was brought to the north side of the community and displayed in the yard of the third St. Bartholomew’s Anglican Church.
At this time, Society of United Fishermen Lodge No. 50 of Harbour Breton had the stone engraved with the names of “those of the congregation who gave their lives in World War II” on one side, and the names of “the faithful priests who served this parish” on the other side. The stone was erected in the new churchyard in the early 1970s and unveiled at a Remembrance Day church service. St. Bartholomew’s Memorial Stone now stands as a reminder of the long history of the Church of England and Anglican faith in Harbour Breton.
Source: Town of Harbour Breton Regular Council Meeting Motion 09-059 August 19, 2009.
All those elements which represent the historical value of St. Bartholomew’s Memorial Stone, including:
- original sandstone monument and its surviving inscriptions;
- size, style, location and orientation of monument in St. Bartholomew’s Anglican Church churchyard;
- unobstructed view from Church Hill Road;
- association with SUF Lodge No. 50, and;
- association with St. Bartholomew’s Anglican Church.
Terre-Neuve et Labrador
Autorité de reconnaissance
Municipalités de TNL
Type de reconnaissance
Terre, structure ou édifice patrimonial municipal
Date de reconnaissance
Données sur l'histoire
1841/01/01 à 1970/01/01
Thème - catégorie et type
- Établir une vie sociale et communautaire
- L'organisation communautaire
Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction
- Monument commémoratif
Architecte / Concepteur
Emplacement de la documentation
Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador
1 Springdale Street
St. John's, NL A1C 5V5
Réfère à une collection