4900 Steveston Highway, Richmond, Colombie-Britannique, V7E, Canada
Reconnu formellement en:
Liens et documents
Date(s) de construction
Inscrit au répertoire canadien:
Description du lieu patrimonial
The Branscombe House, a two-storey Edwardian Builder style structure, is located at a prominent intersection in the residential area of Steveston. The historic place includes the building and lot.
One of the earliest homes built in Steveston, the house is significant for its historical association to the development of the Steveston community, both as a residential building and through its connection to the Branscombe family's general store which was located in the commercial downtown core. The house reflects the pattern of commercial and related residential development that occurred early in Steveston's history. Nearby Branscombe Station of the BC Electric Railway was named after the family.
The Branscombe House is important aesthetically as a very good example of the Edwardian Builder style that recalls the historic character of residential Steveston. Its location on a prominent corner lot reflects the importance of its owners in early Steveston society. The decorative nature of the style seen in this example was not typical of early Edwardian houses.
Source: City of Richmond Clerk's Department File #4200-02
Character-defining elements of Branscombe House include:
- Its prominent corner location and landmark status in Steveston
- The relationship of the house to the site and street
- Design features associated with the Edwardian Builder style, including solid symmetrical massing relieved by square projections on each side, beveled lapped siding with window and corner trim, bellcast hipped roof, the shed verandah with bellcast roof and square piers, and scrolled eve brackets
- Large double-hung, one over one windows with wooden sashes and front first floor bay window
- Original interior layout with original finishings, such as plaster walls, wood doors, baseboards and trim, with plaster cove ceilings on the first floor.
Autorité de reconnaissance
Administrations locales (C.-B.)
Local Government Act, art.954
Type de reconnaissance
Répertoire du patrimoine communautaire
Date de reconnaissance
Données sur l'histoire
Thème - catégorie et type
- Un territoire à peupler
- Les établissements
Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction
- Commerce / Services commerciaux
- Bureau ou édifice à bureaux
- Logement unifamilial
Architecte / Concepteur
Emplacement de la documentation
City of Richmond Clerk's Department File #4200-02.
See also: City of Richmond Archives.
Réfère à une collection